Thursday, April 6, 2017

So Many Solutions

This week has been more relaxed.


The music therapy intern is in her last week of her internship before she will be officially hired by Neurologic Music Therapy Services of Arizona (NMTSA), so while she will still be around after Friday, she will not be at the daycare center with me and the therapist. She is really passionate about what she does and is also fantastic at it, so I'll miss her but I know she will continue to do great things. She promised me she'll bring her viola on Friday so we can duet "name that tune." I look forward to it.


This week in the lab has been one GIANT immunohistochemistry experiment. I have never seen so many slides used in the protocol simultaneously. Because there are so many slides, the protocol requires large amounts of certain solutions that we use for the immuno. I have made about 14 liters of  this buffer solution called TBS, which maintains the pH of the slides in the solution, as well as liters upon liters of other solutions such as Citric Acid used to limit unnecessary binding between antibodies and antigens (see previous post "Immunohistochemistry" for explanation of how IHC works), and Imidazole to enhance correct staining of whichever antigen we are targeting.

Finally, a quick update on the experiment I will be conducting, it is beginning soon! Likely Friday or sometime next week. I'll keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment